web page hit counter

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Get Your Civil War On - The Confession

Thank God we made it through that alive. Now that Civil War is done, so to can we put to rest Get Your Civil War On. Although it has been fun and probably made me laugh more than anyone else, this last round of scrutinization of the Marvel U. really took some energy out of me. If you thought reading Civil War was hard, try spending several Sundays in front of your computer, dissecting the whole damn thing through horrible jokes and lazy photoshop skills. Its not easy, let me tell YOU.

With that being said, there are a few things I want to say and/or apologize for:

My photoshop skills. They are weak, especially when I am cursed with only Photoshop Elements. No longer having to agonize over the ugly word balloons I created is a welcome relief. When I do something like this again, I'll have illustrator at my disposal, ready with the Pen tool.

The jokes. You take the good with the bad, even when there's a lot of bad. A good number of these jokes should have been put to rest long before they graced your computer screen, however I made a little promise not to censor myself so much for fear of stifling the good ones. Had I done so, we would probably be left with 3 strips which is not exactly prolific. So I padded the hell out of them!

I remember when I first pushed publish, I was a little scared. One, because I was worried how everyone would take my oddball sense of humor. Two, I figured somebody had already done a spoof on Get Your War On for Civil War. And three, that everyone was going to jump down my throat, calling me a big ol' homo-phobe because of how Cap and Tony's relationship/break up played out. As if I was coming out and saying "All gay relationships are abusive, manipulative and result in sexually transmitted diseases." Which I wasn't, despite what that one person in LiveJournal said. Civil War at its core seemed like this huge break up. Cap and Tony were the lovers who now found themselves on the outs with each other and were now fighting over personal possessions they had accumulated together. All those jokes about bogarting flagship characters and Veronica Mars DVDs were simply stolen from some of the uglier break ups I myself have dealt with. Cap getting beat up by Tony was just a way to play off the beating in issue 4 as well as highlight Tony's assholeness. And the Peter Parker giving Tony the clap really was just a funny joke that I stumbled upon quite accidentally. Had Marvel ever decided on making a female character worthy enough to lead a charge in something like this, the jokes would have been the same, except with a set of breasts attached. Unfortunately, Marvel has never been the kindest when it comes to women and affording them a place of status where the decisions that Tony and Cap were making throughout this whole ordeal would carry the same amount of weight, story wise.

Let's just say that everything is Joe Quesada's fault and be done with it.

Extra special thanks to Dorian over at Postmodern Barney. Had he not linked me in the beginning, this little gag fest would have probably gone largely unnoticed. If anything, you can blame him. Please read his blog on the daily basis as it is much, much better than mine.

All in all, the whole thing was a blast and I'm hoping to have some free time in the future to make some more web comics like this. Thank you to everyone that read, commented, entered the contest, and linked to the strips.

*cyber-hugs*

6 comments:

Jason said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, you pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the ridiculousness of the whole Civil War enterprise.

It never even occurred to me that the Cap/Iron Man abusive-gay-relationship-break-up could be construed as homophobic, simply because it made a lot more sense than any of the reasons for the war that Millar put forth.

Incidentally, feel free to sit World War Hulk out, it'll probably end up being better self-parody than anything the internet can put together.

Spencer Carnage said...

It never even occurred to me that the Cap/Iron Man abusive-gay-relationship-break-up could be construed as homophobic, simply because it made a lot more sense than any of the reasons for the war that Millar put forth.

No kidding. Civil War would have made more sense if it was a War Of The Roses style break up. In terms of relevancy in the modern world, that is one scenario we all can agree upon.

As for WWH, I would like to keep the Marvel sniping in form of web comics going, but I want to approach a different format. Like a VH1 best week ever type thing. You know, instead of ripping off David Rees, I can rip off Cable Television comedians.

I'm a such a biter, its not even funny.

Spencer Carnage said...

No kidding. Civil War would have made more sense if it was a War Of The Roses style break up. In terms of relevancy in the modern world, that is one scenario we all can agree upon.

One scenario we can UNDERSTAND, I meant to say.

Dorian said...

Hey, take your bows, it was the funniest stuff I've seen online in months.

Spencer Carnage said...

Thanks, Dorian!

Spencer Carnage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.